Monday, May 4, 2009

Graham Crackers

I just learned how to make the best graham crackers I just had to share. They are so much better than store bought and so much cheaper as well. To see a video of how to make these go to

http://everydayfoodstorage.net/2009/04/29/graham-crackers-whole-wheat-food-storage-recipes/food-storage-recipes

I just cant tell you how good these are!! In Crystal`s video she says that in a pinch you can use tin foil to roll the dough out in. I tried that and I got so frustrated that I threw it all away. I would not suggest using tin foil at all. I ended up pressing my dough out on the cookie sheet with my fingers. It worked for me. Just find what works for you and go with it!!

Graham Crackers

1/3 c. shortening
3/4 c. + 1 Tbs. sugar or brown sugar
3 Tbs. warmed honey
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 3/4 c. wheat
1 1/4 c. white flour
1 1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 c. + 2 Tbs (5 oz.) water
1-2 tsp. cinnamon

Combine the shortening, sugar, honey, and vanilla and blend it until it is combine. This will look like cookie dough after you have creamed the ingredients. Add the dry ingredients into the dough. SLOWLY add the water to the dough. You want the dough to slowly clump up like bread does. Divide the dough into 1/3`s to make it easier to roll out. Cut 2 pieces of parchment paper the size of your cookie sheet. Put 1 piece down on the counter with the side that wants to roll down. Place the dough on the paper and then place the other parchment paper on top. You will roll the dough out between the parchment paper. You want the dough to be THIN!!! About 1/16" thin!! Grease the cookie sheet and flip the rolled out dough onto the sheet. Trim the edges so they are just short of touching the edge of the pan. Use those pieces you cut off to fill in any empty spaces you have. Score the dough into the size of crackers you want with a pizza cutter but do not cut clear through!! Poke each cracker with a fork or toothpick. Bake 300 deg 22-24 minutes until light brown. Cool before breaking apart.

Enjoy!!

No comments: