Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Beans



So I am totally excited today. I can now say I officially have my year supply of beans. Well at least my pinto beans that is. I also have a year supply of a mixed bean. That is not on my list to store but it will give me more of a variety. It feels so great to be able to go to my list of what I need to store and be able to mark off something that I have completely done.

I received an email from a friend of mine who had some great info pertaining to food storage. Someone took the time to get a year supply for 1 person. They set it up on a shelf and took a picture of it to show what a year supply actually looks like. This was the minimum that we are told to store. It really opened my eyes. I have decided that I want to store more than a year supply for my family. As for my pinto beans I can say that I have a 2 year minimum supply. Looking at the 50lb bag I have though...its kind of a scary thought that for my family of 6 that is what we have for 2 years. Here is the links that she sent me. This 1st one is a site that shows you how to build shelves for rotating cans. http://www.jaycehall.com/2008/03/08/weekend-storage-project/

I love my shelf reliance shelf but know who expensive they are. If you dont have the money this is a good alternative.

The 2nd link is a you tube link that just has some good ideas for how to store food if you have limited space. http://www.jaycehall.com/2008/03/08/weekend-storage-project/

I have a recipe for some really good bread. My family just loves it.

CINNAMON OATMEAL RAISIN BREAD

This makes a 1 1/2 lb loaf
10 oz (1 1/4 c.) warm milk ( I use powdered milk)
3 c. flour (I do 1/2 wheat 1/2 white flour)
3/4 c. oats ( I just throw some in)
4Tbs brown sugar packed
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 tsp cinnamon
2 TBS butter/margarine
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 c. raisins (my oldest 2 kids dont like raisins so I dont add them)

Add ingredients in bread machine pan as listed MINUS the raisins. Put on what ever settings you prefer. I normally take the bread out about 15 minutes before it is done. It is still cooked its just not crispy on the crust. IF you add raisins do it AFTER the kneading period is done!! If you are not around to add them you can do it when you add the other ingredients but put them around the edge of the pan and make sure they are NOT in the water & away from the yeast. They will soak up too much of the water and make a poor loaf of bread.

This is so good my kids just cant get enough of it when I make it. Its also a good food storage recipe.

Enjoy

No comments: